Second man arrested over Buckingham Palace terror alert

LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 25: Police teams secure the roads behind a cordoned area following an apparent attack on two police officers at Buckingham Palace on August 25, 2017 in London, England. Two officers were slightly injured while arresting the man who was carrying a bladed weapon. (Photo by Leon Neal/Getty Images)

Source: SkyNews, August, 27, 2017

A 30-year-old man is held by police after officers outside the Royal residence were attacked by a terror suspect with a 4ft sword.

A second man has been arrested on suspicion of terror offences after three police officers were attacked outside Buckingham Palace.

The 30-year-old from west London is suspected of being involved in the commission, preparation or instigation of terrorism, Met Police said.

On Friday, a 26-year-old man from Luton was arrested after injuring three officers in Constitution Hill, a restricted area close to the Royal residence, shortly after 8.30pm.

The suspect drove a blue Toyota Prius “deliberately” at a marked patrol car before being confronted by officers.

He then reached for a 4ft sword in the passenger footwell and repeatedly shouted “Allahu Akbar” – God is greatest – during a struggle with officers, police said.

No members of the Royal family were at the residence at the time
Image:No members of the Royal Family were at the residence at the time

The suspect was detained under the Terrorism Act 2000 and a warrant for the extension of his detention has been granted.

Commander Dean Haydon, of the Metropolitan Police counter-terrorism branch, praised the bravery and courage of the injured officers in “quickly bringing the incident under control”.

He added he was confident that it was an “isolated incident”.

Several witnesses told Sky News they saw a man being “wrestled to the ground”, and one German tourist described hearing a “rumble” followed by screaming.

A police vehicle patrols outside Buckingham Palace
Image:A police vehicle patrols outside Buckingham Palace

Kiana Williamson told the Press Association: “We turned up and there was one police van and one car, there was also a civilian’s car that had veered towards the police car.